It seems I always run into people at the grocery store in my worst, grossest, and most unkempt moments. So yesterday, after mustering up the courage to leave my warm bed and throwing on yesterday’s sweater, I was determined to encounter as few people during my shopping as possible. I rushed through the store to avoid being seen/smelled, stopping only to make a few impulse buys. Kale was only $0.99 for a big, leafy bunch, so I quickly grabbed enough to feed a Paltrow family reunion and booked it outta there.
And now I have too much kale on my hands since I have no concept of moderation. I had to use at least some today, so I invested a little time into turning out a warm meal on this blustery afternoon. The carrots add color and a slight crunch, and the kale adds volume to this spiced lentil dish. I paired it with some soft fluffy couscous and it turned out pretty well! This dish is vegan/vegetarian, and a yummy one too. If you’d like, you could use a rice cooker to steam the lentils by following step 1, except until the cook/steam setting on the cooker for 20 minutes.
Warm Curried Lentils, Kale, and Carrots
1/2 bunch kale, ribs removed and leaves torn into medium-sized pieces
3/4 cup green or brown lentils
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup of carrots, sliced into discs
3 tsp cumin
3 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp onion powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups water
1 1/2 cup couscous
2 1/4 cup water
Instructions for Warm Curried Lentils, Kale, and Carrots
1. Combine water, lentils, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/4 tsp salt, cinnamon, 1 1/2 tsp cumin, 1 1/2 tsp curry powder, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer for 20 minutes or until lentils are tender.
2. Meanwhile, add vegetable broth to a sautee pan or large frying pan. Heat to medium heat.
3. Add carrots, 1 1/2 tsp curry powder, 1/4 tsp salt, 2 tsp onion powder, and 1 1/2 tsp cumin to broth. Cook until carrots are just tender.
4. Add kale and cook until kale is tender.
5. Add lentils to kale and carrot mixture and heat through. Serve over couscous (recipe below)
Instructions for Couscous
1. Boil water in medium saucepan. Add couscous.
2. Remove from heat, stir, and cover for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork.