For a quick but healthy side dish, I like to utilize whatever produce is in season. Kale has experienced quite a surge in popularity recently, and for good reason. Unlike other greens that go limp and soggy when cooked (I’m looking at you, spinach), kale keeps its sturdier texture. The slight crunch pairs well with lemon and garlic, and is easy to throw together in a pinch.
Sautéed Kale with Garlic and Lemon
Serves 3-4 as a side dish
1 bunch kale, ribs removed, torn into medium-sized pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
juice of 1/2 lemon
1. Heat oil in a sauté or large frying pan on medium heat.
2. Sauté garlic for 30 seconds or until beginning to brown.
3. Put kale in pan and add salt. Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes or until it’s beginning to be tender.
4. Increase heat to high and sauté until edges are beginning to brown.
5. Transfer to plate and squeeze lemon juice over the dish.