A few weeks ago, our trusty, gargantuan, 10-year old microwave went to appliance heaven. Since then we’ve had little recourse but to use the oven and stove to heat things up. I was really craving some warm food, and when blueberries went on sale at H-mart I knew my destiny was to create delicious muffins and then eat them all.
I love muffins but I don’t love the fat and calories that don’t even contribute very much to the flavor. So I replaced the butter/ oil with lowfat yogurt and applesauce, and the muffins turned out moist and yummy! My suggestion, however, is to stick to using only the muffin pan and don’t bother with the paper cups (as pictured). The lack of oil causes the muffin to stick to the paper!
Healthier Blueberry Banana Muffins
Makes 1 dozen medium muffins
1 cup mashed very ripe bananas
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup applesauce (unsweetened)
1/2 cup sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup lowfat plain yogurt or greek yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
1. Mix all the dry ingredients except the sugar in a large bowl.
2. Mix the wet ingredients-the egg, applesauce, banana, yogurt, and vanilla extract- and the sugar as well. Add this mixture to the bowl with the dry ingredients and blueberries.
3. Fold-very gently stir until all the ingredients are incorporated. If you overmix, the muffins will be hard and rubbery!
4. Grease a muffin pan and spoon batter about halfway up muffin holes.
5. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.