Hey everyone! I’m barely hanging in here. Normally I would still be in bed, but I had to drop off my boyfriend off at the airport! And by drop my boyfriend off at the airport, I mean having him drive himself to the airport while I attempt to sleep in the car…
Before he visited, I schemed up a pretty clean and flavorful recipe. I had tofu and mushrooms just sitting in my fridge, and I knew they were destined for better things than to slowly decompose in the cheese drawer. The kale fills it out and adds some pops of much-needed green to the monochromatic rice bowl. It’s an Asian-inspired dish with most of its flavor coming from the fresh grated ginger and minced garlic. I was getting tired of the teriyaki sauce dominating, so this was a welcome change-up of flavor. And it’s vegan/vegetarian!
Another bright side to creating this dish, besides getting out of the dreaded teriyaki rut, was the chance to use my new neko bowl I got from D.C.’s Chinatown…I’m obsessed.
But I digress! Here’s the recipe:
Garlic-Ginger Tofu, Kale, and Mushroom Rice Bowl
serves 2-3 as a main dish
7 oz tofu (1/2 of a 14 oz tofu block)
1/3 cup of soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons of rice wine or sherry
2 tablespoons of freshly grated ginger
2 teaspoons of minced garlic
1/2 bunch kale, ribs removed and chopped
7-8 baby bella or white mushrooms, sliced
1/2 yellow onion, minced
1 small zucchini, cut into half moons
1/2 can of 8 oz bamboo shoots, rinsed
Instant microwaveable brown/white rice (or normal brown/white rice, prepared)
Sesame seeds and chili pepper flakes, to garnish and spice
1. Place the 1/2 block of tofu on a plate, with paper towels beneath and on top of the tofu block. Place a flat, heavy object on the tofu block (like a plate) to squeeze out the water in the tofu. Leave it on for 10 minutes while you prep the veggies.
2. Prepare rice according to package directions and set aside.
3. After the water has been mostly extracted, cut the tofu block into cubes or 2 inch x 1 inch pieces.
4. Heat the oil in a large saucepan/wok over medium high heat, swirling to coat the surface of the pan. When oil is heated, carefully place the tofu pieces into the pan. Turn over the pieces with a spatula after 3 minutes on each side until golden brown on both sides.
5. Add mushrooms, kale, bamboo shoots, onion, grated ginger, and garlic to the tofu. Lower heat to medium and cover for 3-4 minutes.
6. While the veggies are cooking, mix together soy sauce, rice wine/sherry, and brown sugar. After the 3-4 minutes of cooking the veggies covered, add the soy sauce mixture and turn to medium high heat. Cook another 3-4 minutes or until veggies are fork-tender.
7. Serve over brown/white rice and garnish with sesame seeds and chili flakes.